Alex Hawke was elected to Federal Parliament on 24 November 2007 as the Member for Mitchell, an electorate centred in the Hills Shire in Northwest Sydney.
Alex was the former Cabinet Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs. Like so many Australians, Alex’s family came to Australia seeking the opportunity, freedom and safety our beautiful country affords everyone. Australia’s great migration story will continue to be an essential part of our ongoing prosperity, success and recovery.
Prior to this role Alex has served as Assistant Defence Minister and Minister for International Development and the Pacific, Special Minister of State, Assistant Minister for Home Affairs, the Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, and the Assistant Minister to the Treasurer.
Alex is currently the Deputy Chair of Parliamentary Joint Committee on Corporations and Financial Service. He has previously served in a number of parliamentary positions and on a number of committees including, as Chair of the Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters.
The Mitchell electorate is changing rapidly, with many young families moving into expanding suburbs. The Mitchell community has so many innovative small and medium enterprises and their prosperity continues to be a core priority for the Morrison Government.
Alex is also an advocate for reducing the size and scope of government and the ongoing reduction of red and green tape for small and medium businesses. He continues to fight for more and better infrastructure for the Mitchell community, including social infrastructure like parks and playing fields.
Alex holds a Master of Government and Public Affairs and a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Sydney. He has also served as an Army Reserve Office. He has a deep interest in Australian history and is an avid supporter of the Parramatta Eels rugby league team.
Alex lives in Mitchell with his wife Amelia and their four sons, Jack, Lachlan, Thomas and Jonathan.
- Assistant Minister to the Treasurer from 21.9.2015 to 19.7.2016.
- Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection from 19.7.2016 to 20.12.2017.
- Assistant Minister for Home Affairs from 20.12.2017 to 28.8.2018.
- Special Minister of State from 28.8.2018 to 29.5.2019.
- Minister for International Development and the Pacific from 29.5.2019 to 22.12.2020.
- Assistant Defence Minister from 29.5.2019 to 22.12.2020.
- Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs from 22.12.2020 to 23.5.2022.
- Cabinet Minister from 8.10.2021 to 23.5.2022.